New to OpenText Core?
Check out our Getting Started topic for tips, the new Administrator Guide, or visit our YouTube page for helpful videos!
Version Release Notes Archive:
You can now check out the history of current and past releases of OpenText Core in the Release Notes Archive category via the left-hand menu.

Unsharing subfolders

Hi,

I have created a folder and admitted 6 people to share ( collaborator ). When I create subfolders they have automatically the same sharing rights - but those rights are not displayed in the share-icon. And what I have not found out yet is how to unshare subfolders. If I do not want all of them to be collaborators in a subfolder what do I have to do?

Thanks

Annette 

Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Annette,

Thank you for your question. The way that the OpenText Core permissions "hierarchy" currently works is based on inherited permissions for all sub-folders and/or individual files added to a parent folder. In your case, all users that you have granted Collaborator rights at the parent folder will automatically be assigned as a Collaborator to any sub-folders or individual files you add to that parent.

The only way to limit access to certain files or folders to select users would be to create a new parent folder for the files or sub-folders you want to restrict access to and share with the users separately or remove the user (unshare) from the parent folder and assign access individually to sub-folders or files.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Jay Weir

OpenText Core Community Forum Moderator

• Hi Jay,

thank you. I am not sure which solution is best for me and my team. Maybe I missed something. Here are my concerns with the current solutions:

S1 -  I have to move restricted data into a separate folder that is not linked to the or the original one. I have to send all links for the different folders to the team (confusion). A manager included would only receive the link to the original top folder.  

S2 -  I spend some time removing some collaborators in the top folder and adding them in some dedicated sub-folders (that are not linked together either). If I want to include a manager ( not allowed to access 2 sub-folders, allowed to access 4 sub-folders ) I have to send him 4 links (confusion). The team receives one link to the top folder and can access all sub-folders.

Thanks

Annette

• Hi Annette,

The team is always working to improve the user experience for OpenText Core and exploring ways to better organize files and folders as well as making the permissions assignment more flexible are just two of the areas. That said, future versions of OpenText Core should reflect these efforts.

For the time being, while it might be a bit overwhelming for your team in terms of the number of share notifications, and take a bit of time for you to assign the permissions, there is the "sort by Shared With Me" feature in OpenText Core. Users can click "Shared" and  then "Shared With Me" to bring up a list of all files and folders (sortable by name, date, person who shared the file) which would make things easier.

Thanks for your note and please feel free to let me know if you need further guidance or suggestions.

Jay.

Jay Weir

OpenText Core Community Forum Moderator

• Hi Jay,

thank you. I will ask them to look into the "Shared" section more often.

Regards,

Annette

• Hi team,

any update on Core capabilities in regards of restricting access to specific sub-folders. the above comments were posted in Sept 2015.

Thanks a lot

Amr.

• Hello Amr,

We managed to address this offline, I know, but thought the Community Forum would benefit from our back-and-forth:

OpenText Core has an "inherited permissions" model, meaning that if a user is granted access to a parent folder, they will automatically have rights to the sub-folders (existing and anything added) as well as any standalone files in that parent folder. If restricted access to subfolders is desired, permissions must be granted at the subfolder level (or sub-subfolder as the case may be...).

Stay tuned for news on any changes to the permissions model, new permissions roles and other new sharing/permissions features that might address this in a future release of OpenText Core.

Kind regards,
    Jay Weir - OpenText Core Communications